Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Thirst for Adventure

A Wanderer's Song



A wind's in the heart of me, a fire's at my heels,

I'm tired of brick and stone and rumbling wagon-wheels;

I hunger for the sea's edge. the limit of the land,

Where the wild old Atlantic is shouting on the sand.



Oh I'll be going, leaving the noises of the street,

To where a lifting foresail-foot is yanking at the sheet;

To a windy, tossing anchorage where yawls and ketches ride,

Oh I'll be going, going until I meet the tide.



And first I'll hear the sea-wind, the mewing of the gulls,

The clucking, sucking of the sea about the rusty hulls,

The songs at the capstan at the hooker warping out,

and then the heart of me'll know I'm there or thereabout.



Oh I'm sick of brick and stone, the heart of me is sick,

For windy green, unquiet sea, the realmof Moby Dick;

And I'll be going, going, from the roaring of the wheels,

For a wind's in the heart of me, a fire's in my heels.



~John Masefield



Vincent van Gogh: Wheatfield with Cypresses

The poem "A Wanderer's Song," by John Masefield is about a man who is bored of his home and is planning on leaving so that he can sail the seas. Many people in different countries dream of traveling the world one day and some never do. Some people prefer just to dream. If people were never adventurous and never tried new things, our whole world would be quite different and we would not have most of the things that we have today. This poem is about a man who is not afraid to go after his dreams or shoot for the stars, this man can't wait to set off on his big adventure. Everybody has an adventurous side and because of some people's thirst for adventure throughout the past, we have everything that we have today, including our knowledge of the world and our history. We all are adventurous and we should all go after our dreams and continue discovering new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment